Thursday, December 26, 2013

Phones: The Good AND The Not So Good (Part 2)

Phones: The Good AND The Not So Good (Part 2)

The GOOD
After recently moving to a new city, I have a greater appreciation for my phone. My phone has allowed me to stay in touch with my friends and my family (hi mom). Without it, I would likely have little clue what is going on back home in the lives of people I care deeply about.

As a second year teacher the efficiency with which my phone handles tasks is rivaled only by a real secretary (hi Siri). I am able to use occasional down time to check email. I have an awesome to do list that is easily accessible and organized. Calendar alerts from Gmail remind me of meetings and allow me to keep my job. Since I’m definitely not going to cook, my map app allows me to find what I want for dinner and order it over the phone. I can even find the fastest way there and avoid the Chicago traffic that brings out the worst in me.

I have access to any song in the universe on my phone, allowing me to explore different artists without the quality radio commercials.  Podcasts and talk radio continue to inspire and challenge the way I think. My phone provides quick and portable access to these programs.  I can check my fantasy football and quickly assess if I need to remind a friend who his daddy is or if I should quietly avoid all contact and save myself some abuse.

Phones have tremendous capability and can be used to make a more effective leader, a more involved friend, and a better informed human being. However, through MISUSE, they can much more easily produce the slow destruction of everything that makes you human. 


No comments:

Post a Comment