Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Blessings in Every Rain Drop

Today I got on my bike to ride home from campus and as I did it began to rain. As I rode the rain grew heavier. Each drop of rain turned my khaki shorts into a darker shade of tan. My shoes were becoming wet, not only from the rain falling from the sky, but from the spray of my front wheel picking up puddled water as I rode along. I had to squint to see where I was going and the rain pelted my face. Water fell from my hair in drops and gave me the shower I had yet to take for the day. Because as we all know, in college, showers are not always taken before class and for some they’re not even a daily ritual (that needs to change if that is you). As the rain continued to fall, I lost all hope of getting home dry and not having to change my clothes.

As I neared home, the rain began to subside and the first thought that came to my mind was, “Are you kidding me? This would happen. I chose the only time that it was going to pour this hard in the next hour to come home and now it is going to stop!”

But my next thought, which I wish was my first and which was much more divinely inspired, was “I am so blessed.” I don’t know where this thought came from. It was like the rain watered some flower of an idea in my mind (or maybe the Lord wanted to teach me something). I thought, “I’m blessed to be alive, I am blessed to be able to ride this bike, and I am blessed to even be able to FEEL the rain.” I thought, “Yeah my shoes are wet, but I HAVE shoes and I have an extra pair or two at home also. Yeah my clothes are wet, but a hot shower is waiting for me when I get home and a dry pair of clothes will soon follow.”

We are blessed beyond belief and I wish I could remember that more often.

Genesis 12:2
"I will make you into a great nation and I will bless you; I will make your name great, and you will be a blessing. “ (Blessed to be a blessing).

What is something that is a blessing in your life that you often overlook? Please Share.

3 comments:

  1. It is so great how God can teach us about his awesomeness in little things. It's even more great that I was just thinking this the other day when I was walking to my room from class and it started to sprinkle...I asked God to hold off on the hard rain until I was inside so that I wouldn't get wet. Then he proceeded to show me that he was watering his creation so that it would grow and be fruitful, and just as He waters the grass and other things He wants to pour down on me, on us so that we can share that with others. It was so great because I had just gotten out of my missions class where we talked about being blessed to bless others. It's so like our King to bring things together like this:) I love how he's constantly reminding us of his crazy love for us.
    One thing that I told Jesus this morning was "thank you for my ears!" Random, I know but so true. I woke up with an ear ache and an annoying thump and was just thankful that it wasn't always there and that my ears work!
    Thanks for this reminder!
    Shine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally thought you were going to say you got hit while riding your bike... i hear that happens a lot around where you live ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. And although your tall socks may have gotten wet, you had about 80 pairs of dry ones waiting for you.

    ReplyDelete